Indulging in a good breakfast is what fuels our body for our activities, boosts our metabolism, fights diseases and keeps our weight down. However, not all breakfast staples are healthy to eat early in the morning since they do the opposite – they make you feel drained and tired midday, they ruin your metabolism and even make you gain some weight. To avoid experiencing these adverse effects, here’s a list of the foods that you should never have for breakfast.
- Pastries. Leftover cakes, muffins or some freshly baked donuts may sound good and give you the burst of energy that you need, but that energy isn’t sustainable at all. It may contain 250 to 550 calories to keep you going, but it also contains 20 to 50 grams of sugar. Eating foods with that amount of sugar will surely lead to a quick fall of your blood sugar level, causing you to feel lethargic, exhausted and hungry again.
- Sugary Cereal. Without added sugar, your favourite cereal would taste like cardboard and that’s why we always grab those with added sugar. However, the sweet cereal that you love eating every morning is actually high in carbohydrates that could lead to a quick rise and drop of your blood sugar levels, and even cause your body to store fat. So if you want to be really healthy, you know which cereal to pick.
- Pancake Loaded with Syrup. Pancakes are actually a good source of calcium, but if you coat it with too much syrup, then it’ll counter your plan of having a healthy breakfast. For a healthier syrup alternative, opt for maple syrup as it has antioxidants and can even boost your immune system.
- White Bread. White bread has already been refined, meaning it was already stripped of its nutrients during the refining process. It’s just a simple carb that can be easily digested and cause you to feel crashed hours after eating it. A better bread to indulge in is the whole wheat bread, since it still has the nutrients, vitamins and minerals that your body needs. It’s a complex carb that can sustain your energy and make you feel fuller longer.
- Processed Meat. Eating large amounts of processed meat, such as bacon and sausage, only increases your risk of developing a heart disease and even cancer. What makes processed meat bad for the health isn’t really the salt, sugar and fat, but the additives used to preserve the meat. Still, serving and eating processed meat for breakfast can’t be helped since they’re easy to cook and are delicious. Just make sure that you don’t consume more than 20 grams of it every day.
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day since it’s what jumpstarts your metabolism and gives you the energy that we need to start your day. So ensure that you only serve healthy foods for the first meal of your day.